Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Style it 5 Ways: Natural Wood Basket

Earlier this week I started a "Style it 5 Ways" blog series (or do you think we should call it Finds 5 Ways?  Five Way Finds?  I do love alliteration.  Hmmm....  I digress... ).  Anyway, I went to Target and found some fun finds and brought them home and styled them 5 different ways and am sharing them with you.  

I opened the series with a set of lanterns, and up today, the much requested basket.  I was immediately drawn to this baby because I love the large open weave and the geometric pattern that is created with the wood.  And any chance you have to add a natural element into your home, you definitely should.  It makes your home feel comfortable and gracious.    

1. Empty and on its own
Just because it is a basket, doesn't mean you have to fill it.  And in this instance, I think especially because it has such a beautiful open weave, leaving it empty and placing it somewhere as a piece on its own, is really nice.  It allows the eye to go through it so it doesn't take up so much visual space.  I placed mine by the fireplace because I liked the way it brought balance to the natural element in the wreath on the fireplace and also I really liked the juxtaposition of the shiny lanterns above to the muted natural wood of the basket.  


2. As a log holder
I am a believer in making even a very functional item as beautiful and as interesting as possible.  So instead of a big bulky log holder by your fireplace, try filling a basket or a bucket with wood to fuel your fire.  You can carry the basket out to the wood pile outside, fill it up and bring it inside for easy use.  And, if you have a gas fireplace and don't have a need for logs, this basket would still look really cute next to your fireplace, filled with birch logs for a more decorative affect.  


3. As a plant stand/cover
I love bringing the outside in, but since you can't plant that tree in the floorboards, why not plants its roots in a pretty basket or tub?  This is a simple way to add some interest while not taking away from the beauty of the plant.  And adding this extra touch makes bringing the plant inside feel more intentional and finished, and less like you just stuck a plant in the corner of the room.

4. As a blanket/pillow holder
As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as too many pillows.  And sometimes when you want to kick back at the end of the day with Bravo and a glass of wine, a spare blanket and a place to rest your head it just the ticket.  Tuck this basket next to the couch filled with extra cozy goodness and you're all set.  Plus, they look super cute in there, right?!  


5. As a chandelier
Don't be afraid to think outside the box.  The open weave on this basket makes it perfect for the light to filter through, and the geometric shape casts beautiful shadows on the walls when lit up.  Simply drill a hole in the base of the basket and install a light kit (I promise this is easy) and have an electrician (or a handy husband) hard wire it to an existing ceiling light box.   (I wasn't going to use the basket in this way permanently, but if I were, I would have run more wire through so that the lightbulb hung about 4 or 5" lower.) 



Buy the basket here and get to work!  I can't wait to hear how you used yours!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree on the functionality aspect of beautiful items. And the firewood and planter are my favs! And I'm a lover of things alliterative...nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading (and commenting), Lori!!!! 😀😀

      Delete
  3. I also turned this basket into a chandelier! I had to rig up the light kit to have the bulbs hang lower which was more challenging than I thought it would be. Love your 5 ways to use this basket! See my take here: http://andthenwetried.com/2017/03/diy-basket-pendant-light/

    ReplyDelete