Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Trimming the Easter Tree

Last week I kicked off Easter by sharing our Easter table all set for dinner.  Toady I am back to with a fun Easter craft for you to try!


When my friends Sarah and Mika showed me these adorable little Easter egg trees they made with their families, I knew I wanted to share it with you!

For years, as part of our Easter decor, I have been hanging glass eggs on some twigs in a vase and setting them on the buffet in our dining room.  This reminded me of that family favorite, but was a way to incorporate the eggs we dye each year as a family.

What I love specifically about this tree, is that it can include ever member of the household, and unlike the hard boiled eggs,  these decorated eggs don't need to be refridgerated and instead can stay out for the season to show off their pretty colors.

Now.  I'm not a crafter.  Mika and Sarah are both teachers and they are wonderfully patient and creative.  Those are not my strongest suits.  But, I still wanted to give it a whirl and I'm telling you, if I can do this, you can do this.  (We don't need to mention that I had to go back to them and their very specific instructions several times.)

And I did it.  And then I wrote down step by step instructions on what you need and how you do it, for those of us that don't hold crafting at the top of our resume. It's really not hard at all.  I promise.  Here goes.

What you need:
1. Regular, uncooked, out-of-your-fridge eggs (I like to dye white eggs because brown eggs don't take dye as well.)
2. A drill with a long skinny drill bit on the end
3. Fishing line
4. Toothpicks
5. Egg dye


What you do:

Step one:
Take your eggs and drill a small hole in both ends of the egg.  The egg carton supports the egg nicely while you drill. You will need to put a little pressure on the drill, but be careful not to put too much pressure or push the drill speed too high, or you'll have scrambled eggs.  You just want a little pressure on the egg so the drill bit goes in and you just want to drill the hole slowly.  By about egg number 3 this is easy peasy.



Step two:
This is where things get weird.  You have to blow out the whites and the yolks.  Yes, with your mouth.  I know, but just stick with me- it's not as gross as it sounds.  Put your mouth over one of the holes you drilled and blow the eggs into a bowl.   I'll use my eggs to make a quiche for an Easter brunch.

Step three:
Dye the eggs using your favorite egg dye kit.  Just as you would dye hard boiled eggs.  Some of ours tended to float on the top a bit since they are hollow, so luckily, I had an egg dying assistant who was happy to keep turning them.  After you dye the eggs, set them aside and allow them to dry.





Step four:
While the eggs are drying, hunt for sticks in the yard.  We clipped a few from our forsythia for some added color, and added those with some sticks from the yard.  Pop the sticks in a vase or a jar (Mika uses and old coffee can covered in paper and her kids decorate it with markers and stickers). Fill the jar with a little water (if you have living flowers) and a few rocks for weight.  If you are short on sticks in your yard, you could shop the grocery for flowering branches or, go to your craft store and use artificial branches as well.


Step five:
Take a deep breath and put your patient pants on.  Then take the fishing line and tie it securely around the toothpick.  High five your family when this part is done.  It's oddly the worst part and yes, has nothing to do with the eggs.  (My husband did tell me after the fact, that if you use thinner fishing line, it's a lot easier to work with.) My toothpicks were strangely oversized, so I had to clip the end of them a bit.

Step six:
Thread the toothpick into the egg, keeping the fishing line out.  The toothpick keeps the fishing line in the egg so they can be hung. After the fishing line is secure, tie the opposite end of the line together, for hanging.



Step seven:
Hang the eggs on the tree.  Happy Easter!



 Looks pretty in almost any room in the house!







Think you'll try it?  Post a picture in the comments when you're done!  I can't wait to see how creative you guys will get!  And be sure to check back again this week when I'll be sharing some Easter decor ideas!  (If you're trying to follow me and/or subscribe you have to do that in the regular web version- not from your phone.) And follow me on Instagram @johannampatterson to see the lamb cake I'm making for Easter dinner! Thanks for reading!  

2 comments:

  1. Johanna - we made one of these trees every year when I was little and my mom blew out the eggs and we had comic strip characters on the eggs. My mom kept those eggs from year to year and I still remember how hard it was to do blowing out those eggs...never could get it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that story, Lori!!!! Thanks for sharing and reading!!

      Delete